Claims And Complains

What to do if you wish to make a home business insurance claim

  • Report to the Police any loss or theft of your property or malicious damage of any kind
  • Have your current certificate (policy) and Schedule of Insurance to hand

For Claim call Nationwide 0113 387 9000.

To enable us to give you a speedy response, we will need to know:

  • Name and address of insured
  • Contact telephone number
  • Home start-up insurance cover Policy Number and Period of Insurance on the Schedule
  • Full details of the incident – what, where and why – and date and time of loss/damage and if possible an estimate of repair or replacement cost.
  • If the incident involves any person other than you, their full details and insurance particulars if known.
  • If Police advise, which Station contacted and the Crime Reference Number.
  • If your possessions have been lost or stolen, full details including date of purchase, original cost price and amount claimed.

Please do not delay contacting us even of all the above information is not immediately available.

Claim Conditions

These conditions tell you what must (or must not) be done in the event of a claim.

Claim Notification

  1. When something happens that gives rise to loss, damage, liability or injury which may result in a claim under the home start-up insurance cover certificate, you must tell us as soon as possible after the incident. Depending on the nature of the incident, you must also immediately notify:

    a: the police in respect of theft, attempted theft, malicious damage, vandalism, riot or anything accidentally mislaid or lost

    b: the card issuing authority in respect of theft or loss of credit cards and the like.

    c: N.B. There are specific exclusions in Sections 5: Personal Money and Credit cards and Section 6: Business Money relating to money and credit card loss which have definite time limits for notification.

  2. Within 30 days of the incident having claim potential (or within 30 days of expiry of the indemnity period for a Business Interruption claim under Section 7A or 7B), you must supply us at your expense with full details of the claim, usually by means of a claim form, together with any supporting information, evidence, valuations and receipts which we may ask for concerning the loss, damage or injury.
  3. If any third party or employee intimates that they intend making a legal liability claim on you because of injury or damage, you must tell us immediately, and send us any letter, writ, summons, notice of prosecution or other legal document received by you. No admission of liability, or offer or promise of payment, must be made without our written authority.

Your Responsibilities

  1. If you make any claim knowing it to be false or fraudulent, as regards amount or otherwise, then this insurance shall become void and all claims under it shall be forfeited.
  2. On the happening of an Insured Event which may give rise to a claim under Section 7 of the Certificate, you must take all reasonable steps to minimise the business interruption or interference so as to avoid or diminish the loss insured against.
  3. You cannot abandon any property to us.

    You must give such information and assistance as we may reasonably require in recovering compensation from another party in respect of anything covered by the Certificate. We may enter any premises where loss or damage has occurred and deal with any salvage in a reasonable manner.

In the event of a legal liability claim on you, we are entitled to take over and conduct its defence or settlement in your name, and to have complete control of any legal proceedings, including but not limited to the appointment of a solicitor.